Friday, March 12, 2010

Stand under my umbrella, and take a whiff of Spring

Spring. Does it creep slowly upon us? The ice caps may be in a melting-kind of phase but it winter's still pushing its chill past my doormat and it's worn out its welcome. For all intensive purposes I am presently experiencing my first winter in Paris. I am a certified grade A Floridian. Those sunny days Winter chills only dared flirt with me enough to force a heavy sweater and a light jacket.

Spring seduces you with a host of new colors, warmth and sensations. Change your clothes, your attitude, the food on your table and the tune you whistle. Spring comes after a heavy season of sober clothes, dense meals and relative hibernation. The novelty it provides is essential to our rhythm. Spring is necessary not because it represents what's new and living but because it is new and it pulls the threads of seasonal transition into full throttle. It also holds the promise of summer, extended light and for some lazier days.

I like April rains, the first days eating and taking coffee on the terrasse, walks in the Parc Buttes Chaumont, afternoon viewing sessions of children sailing their boats in the central pond of the Jardin de Luxembourg and picnics in the Parc Montsouris. Sometimes I take a cue from my bum student life in Florida and nap in the parcs of Paris when the sun blazes but first I make sure to tote a blackbook and pen. Yes my feigned industrious look assures all I'm in the middle of writing an epic while stealing a bit of the most refreshing shut eye out there. 



January. New Year's, great. A decade's flown by and I barely noticed. I barely noticed the stroke of midnight on NYE, it must have been all that champagne and foie gras. Luckily I retained something of that evening. By the way all you cruel meat eaters, Goose foie gras is better than that of duck. I guess when it comes to sadistic french spreads I kick it old school, goose foie gras is le plus ancien des deux. By the way aren't I supposed to have some kind of inspiration for a self-righteous resolution like breaking a sweat more often or writing a novel or getting a second job? Guess not. Also I have to remember to wish everyone I encounter a Bonne Année and good health and a bounty of other blessings until the passing of January 31st. Les formules de politesse, c'est presque un corvée.

February. Still in winter looking forward to Spring, am rather sad that the sales are over.

March. God, it's still not Spring. I can't take this, I keep eating like it's winter but I'll shop for a spring wardrobe (you know before too many catch on about it) I even dream of the beach at night and am starting to nostalgically idealize Florida into this ethereal paradise. I'm buying my one-way ticket to Miami sooner than you think. Actually I should probably work on fitting into my Spring wear.

SPRING SELECTIONS

No comments:

Post a Comment